The following sites have been selected and reviewed by local literacy librarians in the L.E.A.R.N. (Libraries English and Reading Network) Group.
Language Skills and General Literacy
• Activities for ESL Students Vocabulary, bilingual quizzes, tests, exercises and puzzles to help you learn English as a Second Language (ESL).
• Boggles World ESL for Adults This site includes many exercises and games for improving English language skills.
• Dave's ESL Cafe on the Web Helpful pages on idioms, slang, test preparation advice, and links to other ESL Web sites.
• Dictionary Help Basic dictionary to help in learning English words and their meanings.
• English as a Second Language Home Page A starting point for ESL learners who want to learn English via the World Wide Web. Contains a lightly annotated directory of links in categories including: Listening and Speaking; Reading with Understanding; Grammar and Writing; ESL-related Information; English Language Schools; and More ESL Sites.
• English Club Helps students to learn English and instructors to teach English: includes lessons for learners and teachers, including fun pages like games, quizzes, and chat--all free!
• English Grammar Links for ESL Students Annotated links to exercises, quizzes and lessons for practicing English.
• ESLPDF Over 200 free English grammar and vocabulary worksheets for the classroom or self-study. Includes special sections such as Phrasal Verb Training and Holidays.
• Idioms for you Site contains all types of idiom information for ESL learners. ESL worksheets and vocabulary lessons for intermediate and advanced levels. Exercises on idioms, phrasal verbs and collocations.
• Interesting Things for ESL Students This large site links to word games, puzzles, quizzes, slang, proverbs and much more.
• Internet TESL Journal: for Teachers of English as a Second Language A monthly, on-line journal with teaching techniques, lessons, Web-based textbooks, projects, classroom jokes, games, and conversation questions, as well as related links for both teachers and students. Site is searchable and archived.
• Language Automation Links to foreign language dictionaries for translating words into English.
• Learn English Feel Good ESL portal with a wide variety of exercises and resources for students and teachers of English. Over 300 free grammar and vocabulary exercises, 120 free printable grammar worksheets, media-based listening comprehension exercises, lists of American idioms and phrasal verbs, an English for Travelers section, and much more.
• Learning Resources Provided by CNN, adults can read, view, or listen to current news stories. Reading and vocabulary activities are included with each story.
• Literacy List This site for teachers and adult learners offers links to easy-to-read sites for reading, math, science, health, jobs, and more.
• New York Times Learning Network Learn about United States current events and more using the New York Times learning network.
• Phonetics Learn phonetic sounds of the English language; has English, Spanish and German languages.
• Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students A very large collection of quizzes for English study.
• TOEFL Official Web site for the Test of English as a Foreign Language.
• Topics: An Online Magazine for Learners of English In this on-line magazine "learners of English as a second language express their ideas and opinions on topics of interest to them." It features accounts of international foods, festivals, dances, superstitions, proverbs, and more. Also includes a description of class projects from around the world.
•Tower of English This Internet resource guide is for students and teachers of English as a second language (ESL). There are about three dozen interest categories and several hundred Web sites in an A-Z list that use "endless games and fun activities to catch the interest and imagination of ESL students," while practicing the use of the English language. Many sites include interaction in foreign languages. Searchable.
• All About Work: How to Find a Job Includes getting ready for interviews, what to do at an interview, filling out a job application, and more.
• Business English Site Over 200 free exercises covering a wide variety of Business English topics (Accounting, Sales & Marketing, Information Technology, Medical English, General Business English, and many others). Includes two listening comprehension sections (video and audio), as well as a special section to practice Business English Grammar.
• English For My Job English practice exercises for hospitality industry workers, with separate sections for those working in the hotel, restaurant, and travel/tourism industries. Includes a special Politeness Training section.
• GED Prep Free GED preparation to earn a high school diploma.
• Literacy Connections Provides a wealth of information on reading, teaching and tutoring techniques, ESL literacy and adult literacy.
Literacy Partners, Teaching and Other Resources
• CAELA Center for Adult English Language Acquisition has resources for teachers to help adults learn English.
• College of DuPage Library ESL Internet Sites College of DuPage Library helpful ESL Internet sites.
• English Learner Offers online English lessons and tests at all levels. Learn English online with interactive tests and exercises. Also offers English lessons by e-mail at three levels every week - completely free.
• Libraries English and Reading Network - LEARN LEARN offers resources on its website for ESL and basic reading adults and tutors.
• LINCS Literacy Information and Communication System has research and practice resources.
• Literacy DuPage Local agency for ESL and adult basic education offers tutor training, adult learner assignment to a tutor, and sponsors English Conversation Groups at local libraries.
• NCSALL National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy is a good site for teachers that includes many research articles.
• Peoples Resource Center Community agency providing basic skills tutoring, computer training, food pantry and other resources.
• ProLiteracy Worldwide A nonprofit international literacy organization that was formed by the 2002 merger of Laubach Literacy International and Literacy Volunteers of America.
• Teaching Resources Online free and interesting teaching resources in all topics from the U.S. Department of Education.
For More Information
For more information, contact Jean Demas, Literacy Outreach Librarian (630) 971-1675 ext 1002