Our Discussion of Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3) by Becky Chambers
Centuries after the last humans left Earth, the Exodus Fleet is a living relic, a place many are from but few outsiders have seen. Humanity has finally been accepted into the galactic community, but while this has opened doors for many, those who have not yet left for alien cities fear that their carefully cultivated way of life is under threat.
Tessa chose to stay home when her brother Ashby left for the stars, but has to question that decision when her position in the Fleet is threatened.
Kip, a reluctant young apprentice, itches for change but doesn't know where to find it.
Sawyer, a lost and lonely newcomer, is just looking for a place to belong.
When a disaster rocks this already fragile community, those Exodans who still call the Fleet their home can no longer avoid the inescapable question:
What is the purpose of a ship that has reached its destination? Goodreads
Below are a sampling of our comments:
- It was an interesting take on life on an intergenerational ship – people had to behave a certain way or they would have died out
- The society had universal basic income, guaranteed food and air for all, and everyone took turns doing the dirty, unpleasant jobs
- I knew Sawyer was going to end badly – I dreaded it when he showed up because he was too trusting and naïve
- I loved it and didn’t care that there wasn’t really a “plot.” The characters seemed real, unlike in some books we’ve read recently where they just exist to move the plot forward
- The title is an accurate description of what the story will be about…
- There’s a theme in some of the books we’ve read recently about how to live in different cultures/cities
- It was a little slow moving, but that’s ok because the characters were believable, like the teenager Kip, who was bored, but knew his parents cared about him
- The alien visitor allowed for info dumps about life in the Fleet
- I liked the archivist and her wife – it was fun when they went on the joyride and it was moving at the end when Tamsin asked to shake the alien’s hand
- I would move to Mushtullo for the name alone!
Please add any additional thoughts or comments you have about Record of a Spaceborn Few. We gave this title the codes CUL, AGE, HOME, INC, XEN, HIT & UTP and an average rating of 4.5.