COVID-19 & Lisle Library District (LLD) Operations
COVID-19 & Lisle Library District (LLD) Operations
|COVID-19 ONSET, CLOSURE, ACTIVITY & RE-OPENING||OPERATIONS TIMELINE|
The LLD closed to the public on March 13, 2020 due to COVID-19. Ever since, staff have ensured that patrons have access to Library resources, services, and librarians. From day one of the pandemic, the LLD’s operations dynamically pivoted to continue to provide public services. Below, is an inventory of LLD’s efforts, from pandemic onset through re-opening:
- Immediately implemented registering for a Library card from home
- Book drops remained open throughout pandemic (only library in our area to do so)
- Email and phone reference services continued
- Collection management, financials, staff training continued
- Instituted quarantine period/process for materials
- Ordered PPE
- Professional sanitization of entire facility conducted
- Ordered acrylic barriers for install (+additional PPE)
- Increased online presence via staff-created videos/tutorials
- Increased titles on digital content platforms to fulfil holds
- Organized safe curbside pick-up program
- Organized safe home delivery program
- Called home delivery residents throughout pandemic to keep connected
- Instituted virtual Spring Read Program
- Instituted Curbside Pick-up Program
- Re-Instituted Home Delivery Program
- Partial shipments of PPE arrived/installed
- Continuance of digital online programming
- Maintenance checks in facility: elevator, plumbing, fire safety, tree removal, etc.
- Replaced all HVAC filters in building
- New shelving installed in Youth Services
- Preparations for re-opening - signage, supplies, staff operations
- Installation of PPE/acrylic barriers
- Creation of a digital Summer Read program
- Continuance of staff-created videos/tutorials
- The Lisle Library District opens to the public the first week in July.
The LLD has remained open to the public ever since July 6, 2020. The only way the LLD could do this was by effectively preparing and planning for operational changes, communications, and the application of appropriate safety protocols in a thoughtful and measured way from the very beginning. By doing so, patrons experienced the least amount of inconvenience and disruption to services. The LLD continues to support the health/safety guidelines as prescribed by the Governor and local health authorities. Current LLD operational guidelines can be found HERE.
2/28/2022 -- Illinois Mask Mandate lifted. The LLD is a mask-optional facility. The LLD will continue to monitor local (DuPage County Health Dept.) and national (CDC.gov) guidelines and shall remain vigilant regarding COVID-19 protocols. The LLD values the health and safety of our patrons and staff.
7/29/2021 -- Masks required while visiting the LLD per DuPage County Health Dept. -- The DuPage County Health Department has determined that DuPage County is at "substantial" risk for COVID-19 as of July 28, 2021 and strongly endorses the recently updated CDC masking guidance which recommends everyone, including fully vaccinated individuals, wear a mask in public indoor settings in areas with substantial and high transmission.
5/19/2021 -- Due to the decrease in COVID-19 cases and increase in vaccinations, the LLD Board has permitted relaxing some restrictions in the facilty, while recommending that masks continue to be worn in the Library, especially in the Youth Services Department (children under 12 are not yet eligible for the vaccine). Areas for study/meeting will be expanded. More public PCs will become available. Quarantining materials will cease. The LLD will no longer restrict visits to one hour. Curbside Pick-Up will continue, as will sanitization of high-traffic areas in the building.
02/19/2021 -- Patrons may utilize the public PCs for up to 60 minutes. All previous safety protocols remain.
01/26/2021 -- The LLD established new safety guidelines per the State moving to Tier 1: Patrons may utilize the public PCs for up to 30 minutes, with opportunity to extend time via staff assistance. All previous safety protocols remain.
01/25/2021 -- The LLD established new safety guidelines per the State moving to Tier 2: Patrons may utilize the public PCs for up to 30 minutes, with opportunity to extend time via staff assistance. All previous safety protocols remain.
11/20/2020 -- The LLD established new safety guidelines per the State moving to Tier 3: Curbside service hours have expanded. Public computers will be for EXPRESS use only and be limited to 15 minutes of use. All previous safety protocols remain. Hours of operation remain the same.
11/11/2020 -- The LLD returned to normal operating hours; continuing COVID-19 safety protocols and curbside services..
7/6/2020 -- The LLD re-opened to the public with new hours, new requirements, added services, and limits on some resources and space - DETAILS.
7/3/2020 -- The LLD will re-open to the public on July 6, 2020. Due to the continued risk of COVID-19, the LLD is re-opening with modified hours, new requirements, added services, and limits on some of our resources and space. CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE DETAILS.
5/18/20 -- Instituted Curbside Pick-Up Program
5/13/20 -- LLD Board of Trustees regular meeting scheduled at 7:00 p.m. The Library’s Meeting Room and lobby will be open to the public solely for Board Meeting business. No other area of the Library will be accessible. In accordance with Governor Pritzker’s Executive Order 2020-32, all persons over the age of 2 who are medically able to tolerate a face covering (a mask or cloth face covering) must cover their nose and mouth when in the public space. Meeting attendees shall comply with social distancing guidelines and room arrangements. The Library also recognizes the Governor’s Executive Order No. 2020-07 which suspends certain requirements of the Open Meetings Act, allowing Library Trustees to participate remotely.
4/25/2020 -- Message from the Director #2
3/27/2020 -- Message from the Director
3/23/2020 -- Register for a Library Card from home today! - During the COVID-19 crisis, the LLD wants every District resident to have access to online/digital resources. It’s important that our entire community has access to educational, entertaining, & informative material during this challenging time.
3/17/2020 -- Intergovernmental COVID-19 News | Schools, Parks, Police, etc.
3/14/2020 -- COVID-19 Closure -- update
- There will be no fines for overdue materials during this closure period.
- However, our book drops will be open!
Library Cards that have expired or are about to expire (updated 3/18/20):
- LLD cards that have expired - or that are about to expire - will be extended during this closure period. If you are having issues using your Library card during this closure, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff will attend to your issue as soon as possible.
- Databases and digital platforms like hoopla and eMediaLibrary are available via your LLD card!
- During this closure period, LLD staff are actively working on some other ways to connect with our patrons!
Contacting the LLD:
- LLD staff will continue to respond to email. Please allow extra time for response during this period.
3/13/2020 -- COVID-19 Closure Announcement
The Lisle Library District (LLD) will be closed as of 9:00 pm on Friday, March 13th until further notice. The health and well-being of our patrons is a priority during this high-risk period.
The LLD is in active communication with our other intergovermental agencies regarding safeguarding our community. Curtailing community-spread is our goal with all public closings. Please see the County/State/National links below for more comprehensive information regarding COVID-19.
- LLD Board of Trustees & Director.
3/12/2020 -- Message from the LLD Director:
In efforts to keep our community as safe as possible while still providing public services and materials, the LLD is suspending all programs in our Meeting Rooms until further notice.
The health and well-being of our patrons is a priority during this challenging time.
LLD Meeting Rooms A & B, YS Activity Room, and Large Group Study Room.
Until further notice, all public programs – LLD facilitated and programs conducted by outside groups, shall be suspended/cancelled as of Friday, March 13, 2020.
Having large groups within a confined space has been discouraged by local/state health officials. The smaller study/literacy rooms will remain open to those who wish to use them for study. However, groups will not be allowed reserve the larger group study room or other meeting rooms during this period.
Staff have contacted group organizers who are affected. Staff have also alerted those who have registered for LLD facilitated programs.
LLD Administration is following this situation closely and is in communication with the other intergovernmental agencies. Correspondingly, we have our attention on State and County agencies for further guidance and will alert LLD patrons via social media, emails, website/lislelibrary.org, and via all means possible.
Public Health | Approach
The LLD is taking a proactive approach to this community risk. Staff have increased sanitization and cleaning efforts. This includes regularly sanitizing desk areas, phones, doorknobs, elevator buttons, bannisters, and other commonly used surfaces. There are automatic hand-sanitizers throughout the building.
The DuPage County Health Department has recommended the following:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
If you are sick:
- Stay home.
- Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue, and throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces you touch.
- DuPage County Health Department
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Should the current situation change, we will continue to communicate via this page and by all practical means as new information becomes available. We will get through this period via pragmatic decision-making -- I’m confident of that.
Tatiana Weinstein | LLD Director